Saturday, January 10, 2009

How it all started . . .

I joined a knitting group. It reminds me of the sewing circle we had on my street growing up. I don't recall how often the women got together but the ladies of the street would gather at someone's house, bring their knitting, crocheting, hand sewing, whatever, a snack to share and basically stitch and bitch. It was a way to catch up on all the neighborhood gossip and see what sorts of projects other women were working on. It seemed like a lot of fun.

As a kid, I remember viewing most of this from the stairs - eavesdropping on adult conversations when it was held at our house. As I got older, I was allowed to sit in on the sessions until my bedtime but I still liked to sit on the stairs and listen in.

So, when I heard about this knitting group, reminiscent of the female friendships my mother enjoyed, I decided to give it a try.

I had no projects really in mind. I took some knitting needles and some yarn and away I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment